The Art League of Marco Island (Marco Island Center for the Arts) was incorporated on April 15, 1970 after a group of seven artists and art patrons recognized the need to establish a cultural hub on Marco Island.
Marco pioneer Helen Tateo provided the first space in her art studio and gallery for the artists would have a place to paint and exhibit their work. In April 1970 the first Annual Fine Art Show was held at the Marco Island Shopping Center.
The Deltona Corporation and Frank Mackle donated the first of five lots that would become the home of what is now Marco Island Center for the Arts on 1010 Winterberry Drive. Today the Art Center is a 14,000 square foot facility that houses educational and instructional facilities, three art galleries, a gift shop, and administrative offices.